Saturday, December 6, 2008

Current Issue!

I was watching a Spanish news channel, and they were covering a story where the city of Compton was handing out toys to less fortunate families. Among the families were a combination of black and Mexican families. Well, that's a nice deed, right? Being that it's the holidays and times are tough. However the story caught my attention because they stated that city officials required that all families provide a valid California ID. BUT wait now I can't remember if they required ALL families to show valid ID or only required Mexican families to do so. Anyway if they couldn't provide some proof of legal residency their children would not be given a toy.

So I was thinking about this, and in reality who is at fault or wrong here? Here are a few questions I came up with.

1)How did the families find out about the event? Did they find out through the media or newspaper? Did the media specify that you would have to prove your legal residency? If so why would illegal residents show up and and have their kids be disappointed about not getting a toy. OR they just didn't understand due to the language barrier. But what if it was in Spanish? So in that case if Mexican families were advised, then city officials are not at fault?

2) Is it right for city officials to do such a thing? I mean, you might as well say if you have committed a felony please do not show up because your child will not get a toy. Prove that you have a clean criminal history. That's wrong, you can't do that! So why is it okay to do that to illegal residents?

Granted it's wrong to be here illegally, but why involve kids in this. They don't know the meaning of all that. Why not just do a good deed, and put aside the legal aspect of it all. Or simply don't do anything at all. I don't know, but this whole thing bothered me. And I don't agree with it.

I'm going to do some more research and see if I find anything on this online, but nonetheless I disagree with the whole deal.

1 comment:

susana said...

OMG.....that so sucks!!!!